Chief’s Point is a fisherman’s dream area situated on the north side of the Sauble River below the Sauble Falls where the salmon come to spawn.
The tract became Indian Reserve #28 when a treaty was signed in 1854. In 1958, a portion of the Reserve was surrendered back to the Crown for cottage lots to provide an income for the Saugeen Band. There are 125 lots with 92 currently occupied.
Chief’s Point Association is one of the 4 associate members of SCOI. We meet annually with a business portion followed by a social at a member’s cottage. Other meetings are called as needed. Cottagers are kept up-to-date with a mailed out Spring newsletter, dropped off flyers, SCOI news or notices as well as a sign board at the entrance of the Reserve.
Chief’s Point Cottage Association was formed in 1970 with Darcy Dutton as the first President. There have been 9 Presidents since with 2 of them serving as SCOI Presidents in the past.
Chief’s Point is a private, restful spot ideal also for canoeing and kayaking and gliding along the river that empties out to the lake. In fact the main road is called SOG-JE-WA-SA which means “where the river goes out”. The other main road is appropriately called OGIMAH which means “chief” since years ago the Point was a gathering place for tribal Chiefs.
Even though Chief’s Point is the smallest member of SCOI it is big on historical significance, charm, peaceful living and the signature sunset of Lake Huron.