The Bearwise Program
BEAR-WISE PROGRAM (SAUGEEN FIRST NATION, ON) – Each Spring, bears awaken from their winter hibernation and start looking for food. Sometimes the search for food leads them into populated areas which some people can find very unsettling.
The North Penninsula OPP is offering some tips from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) bear-wise program to help reduce your chances of encountering a bear:
- Store garbage in containers with tight lids
- Only put garbage out the day of collection
- Clean outdoor grills after each use, including the grease trap
- Only fill bird feeders during winter months
- Don’t let leave pet food outside
- Pick ripe fruit from trees and bushes
Bear sightings should be reported to the MNR Bear Hotline at 1-866-514-2327.
Anyone interested in more information on wildlife can contact the MNR at 1-800- 667-1940 or check on-line at http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca
Read about this issue in the July 26, 2016 edition of Owen Sound Sun Times. Click here.