Important Warning about Smoke Alarms

Many cottagers have a bunkie on their property as an extra bedroom for company or for children. Unfortunately, a woman lost her life on August 15, 2020 when the bunkie she was in burned.

Think about puting a smoke detector in any bunkie.

According to a Town of South Bruce Peninsula media release, “The Town of South Bruce Peninsula suffered a tragedy this morning when a 17-year-old woman lost her life in a structural fire in Sauble Beach.

An early morning fire broke out in the Bunkie she was sleeping in. The fire was quickly extinguished by the South Bruce Peninsula Fire Department. The fire did not spread to the house adjacent to the Bunkie. The other occupant of the Bunkie was able to escape without serious injury.

“These are the tragedies our Firefighteulars are trained to address but no one ever wants to find themselves in this position” says Chief Normand Beauchamp.

The victim’s identity is not is unknown.

Mayor Janice Jackson says “Our hearts are broken today. Our community lost a young life needlessly. If anyone sleeps in your backyard Bunkie, please install a smoke detector. The life you save could be your child’s“.

This fire is currently under investigation by the Ontario Provincial Police and Ontario Fire Marshall Emergency Management. No more information will be release by the Fire Department.